My family loves Gatorade. Like seriously. My husband has been a fan ever since I can remember. I never played organized sports, so the first time I even tasted it, I was about 20. I remember the day like it was yesterday. Fast forward about 10 years, I was pregnant with my little princess and she was giving me the blues. I had the bubble guts like crazy and lived on Gatorade-Fruit Punch flavored to be exact. I freaked out if I my fridge was running low in my office and would send a willing teacher to get me some. It was that serious. Well, guess what happened? Now my littles love Gatorade too. The problem is they shouldn’t be drinking it like water and it is TOO expensive. I had to find a solution and did a little research, combined some recipes, and tried it out on the young flag football player….SCORE! He liked it. She liked it. I love anything remotely natural. All was good. Hopefully, this version will save you a few bucks too.
EASY-1 Quart-15 min
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 quart Gatorade bottle or equivalent
- Add 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt to 1/2 cup hot water
- Stir until completely dissolved
- Add 1/2 cup orange juice and 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the water/sugar/salt mixture
- Add a handful of ice cubes to the bottle
- Pour the juice mixture into the bottle
- Fill the remainder of the bottle with cold water
- Shake the bottle and let the ice cubes cool the warm water
If you give it a try, come back and leave a comment letting me know how YOUR “Gatorade” turned out.